Current game stage: 1
(Section from Game Mechanics)
Day and night settings can be defined by the player in the menu before starting a game. You can change how many in-game hours there are in each day (12 ,14, 16, or 18 hours in each in-game day). Depending on how many hours your desire to have in each day, the sun will always set at 22:00 and rise at either 4:00, 6:00, 8:00, or 10:00. You can also change how long a 24 hour cycle lasts (10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 90, or 120 minutes in real time). The duration of a 24 hour cycle not only affects how long a day lasts but how long a night lasts too. Both Day and Night time have an affect on zombies. During the day almost every single zombie cannot run (some exceptions Feral Wight, Zombie Dog). But at nighttime every zombie can run. Time of day or night does not affect how the player obtains experience, or loot, or any other variable besides how bright or dark the world is, and if the zombies are allowed to run or not.
- New players are advised to choose 18 hour days and 60+ minute cycles so they have a good chance to learn how to play the game and learn its mechanics.
- Old (and new) players can choose lower hour days and lower minute cycles if they want a challenge by limiting how long the days are and how short the cycles are too.
- If you're struggling extend the amount of hours per day and/or how long 24 hour cycles are.
- It's advised to avoid looting at night due to the darkness enabling the Zombies' ability to run.
- At nighttime the player's vision is heavily reduced, to combat this a Torch or Flashlight is necessary.
- A Zombie's vision is not reduced during nighttime and will still clearly see the Player if they have line of sight.
- If you plan to go looting at nighttime you will have to put your Torch or Flashlight away to fight Zombies. If the player attached a Flashlight to a Firearm they can choose to fire it and keep their light on, but the noise will attract a lot of Zombies, unless you have a Silencer Mod. You also must have 2 mod slots in order to put both a Flashlight and a Silencer.