Current game stage: 1
Description[edit | edit source]
Farming is the process of planting, growing, and harvesting the various Trees and Plants found in 7 Days to Die. This process allows the player to set up a farm and sustain the production of certain foods, items, and resources.
Journal Entry[edit | edit source]
Use your fists or any tool to harvest crops. After you have bought the required level in the Living off the Land perk or found a schematic you can craft seeds from harvested crops. Craft Farm Plots and plant seeds on Farm Plots using the secondary action and increase your harvesting yield through buying more levels of the perk.
Farming Basics[edit | edit source]
Preparation[edit | edit source]
Tree seeds can be obtained by fully-harvesting (felling) a mature tree. Planting tree seeds requires only the appropriate seed and an open area of land.
Lighting[edit | edit source]
Plants (with the exception of Mushrooms) also require natural light so that they can grow. This means that plants need to be outside, or have some method of receiving natural light. A chimney will work.
Various types of blocks will let light through. This is defined by either the shape of the block, or the material it is made from, or a specific value that is specified. The light levels have a range of 0 to 15, 0 being completely dark and 15 having access to full sunlight. A block with a light opacity of 1 will reduce the amount of light that the blocks below it receive by 1 (assuming it is the only source of light, as in a tunnel to underground). So Bulletproof Glass will reduce the light below it from 15 to 13, still plenty of light to grow plants.
The amount of light that a block receives will also reduce by 1 with the vertical distance from a light source. A block that is over six meters from a natural light source will not receive any light.
Growth Cycle[edit | edit source]
Trees will initially appear as small saplings, which only yield minimal Grass when harvested. Trees slowly grow and mature in stages until a maximum size is reached (determined by the soil type in which the tree was planted[?]).
Plants initially appear as seedlings and slowly mature over time. Inspecting a plant by aiming your crosshairs at it will display its growth stage: seedling, growing, or (type) plant. Only fully-grown plants can be harvested. If a seedling or growing plant is harvested, the seed for that plant is recovered in your inventory.
Harvesting[edit | edit source]
Trees are harvested for wood via chopping. This can be done with bare hands if necessary, but is more efficient using tools (Axe). A mature tree that is fully harvested will also provide 2 tree seeds once felled.
Plants are harvested by left-clicking any mature plant. Harvest yield is equal when using bare hands vs. any tool, and is only determined by the Living Off The Land (Perk). Once a player-placed plant is harvested, it reverts back to its seedling stage in its plot. Plants found growing organically on the map are simply destroyed upon harvest. If a seedling or growing plant is harvested, the seed for that plant is recovered in your inventory. Using auger or chainsaw are the fastest way to harvest crops with some exceptions, second fastest way is using a knife. which benefits extra speed from Flurry of Blows (Perk)
Seeds[edit | edit source]
Plants[edit | edit source]
|Unit Yield per Harvest based on Living Off The Land (Perk)|
|Level 0||Level 1 & 2||Level 3|
|Aloe Plant||yes||Aloe Seed||120||1||2||3|
|Blueberry Plant||yes||Blueberry Seed||120||1||2||3|
|Chrysanthemum Plant||yes||Chrysanthemum Seed||120||1||2||3|
|Coffee Plant||yes||Coffee Seed||120||1||2||3|
|Corn Plant||yes||Corn Seed||180||1||2||3|
|Cotton Plant||yes||Cotton Seed||120||1||2||3|
|Goldenrod Plant||yes||Goldenrod Seed||120||1||2||3|
|Hop Plant||yes||Hop Seed||120||1||2||3|
|Pumpkin Plant||yes||Pumpkin Seed||120||1||2||3|
|Potato Plant||yes||Potato Seed||120||1||2||3|
|Super Corn Plant||yes||Super Corn Seed||180||1||2||3|
|Yucca Plant||yes||Yucca Seed||120||1||2||3|
Trees[edit | edit source]
Wood yields vary based on the size of the tree. Below are yields for felling fully-mature trees (i.e trees with 1200 durability when felling them). Trees can be planted on any soil based ground (No Farm Plot required) and yield 150 wood per tree regardless of tool used. The wood yield is effected by Mother Lode. Fully-mature trees will always yield 2 tree seeds.
|Plant||Crafting Required||Seed Type||Growth Time |
|Blue Spruce Tree||None||Blue Spruce Seeds||120|
|Pine Tree||None||Pine Seeds||120|
|Oak Tree||None||Oak Seeds||120|
Crops[edit | edit source]
- Blueberries grant minimal Fullness and are best used in Blueberry Pie. They are easily found growing in the Snow Biome as early-game food for players willing to dare enter. They can also crafted into seeds for farming later. Note: Blueberry plants grow bright green and are far more scarce than the frost-colored Snowberry Plant.
- An Ear of Corn can be cooked into a Corn on the Cob and is a very useful early game food. It can also be used to make Corn Meal as well as being an ingredient for Meat and Vegetable Stews. Corn Meal in turn is used to cook:
- Potato is best used in stew, but can be eaten raw or grilled using a Cooking Grill to produce a Baked Potato.
- Coffee Beans can be used to brew Coffee, which when consumed will give the player the positive effect Caffeine Buzz.
- Cotton Plant can be used to craft Cloth Fragments or Cotton Seeds.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- After harvesting a plant, a fresh seed will be automatically planted in place of the adult plant at no cost to the player. This seed can then be picked up by harvesting it with any item meaning that player made plants are a permanent food source so long as zombies do not break the farm plot the crop sits on.
History[edit | edit source]
- In older version living off the land had 5 levels with the 5th unlocking mutated plant seeds
- Before Alpha 18 crops could be planted on normal soil not just farm plots.
- As of A18, tilling soil and the use of hoes has been discontinued.
Video Tutorial[edit | edit source]
(Alpha 18) Farming using the new Farm Plot.
(Alpha 16) The video guides you through how to farm trees and crops, the effect of tilling and fertilizing the soil, and basics of underground farming and light. It also touches on the different crops and what they are used for.