Salvaging refers to the activity of harvesting mechanical-based and electrical-based block items using a Disassemble Tool in order to obtain not only basic resources from the item but also bonus resources not available when harvesting using other tools. As in all types of Harvesting, materials are extracted from block items as they are damaged and/or destroyed by your Salvaging efforts.
There are a few disassemble tools available, some easier to get than others. When using a disassemble tool on a block item that can be salvaged, the animation of the attack changes into a disassembling motion, as if the player was trying to disassemble the item. This animation signals that the player is taking the item apart, which will yield additional resources compared to using a tool not appropriate for the job. Different tools can be seen and compared here.
- The Salvage Operations (Perk) will make the player salvage faster and gain more resources.
- There are a variety of Mods that can be installed on a disassemble tool in order to increase its Block Damage.
Example Items for Salvaging
The following items are but a sample of the items which will yield bonus resources when using a Disassemble Tool:
- Furniture - various beds, lamps
- Kitchen appliances - Refrigerators and Refrigerator Top, Sinks, Toilets, Toasters, Microwaves, Ovens
- Electronic devices - TVs, Lamps, Computers, Consoles, |Street Lights
- Mechanical devices - Vending Machines, Water Coolers, Barbells, Electric Pole Device (found on top of Electric Poles), Air Conditioners
- Ruined vehicles - various car wrecks like Sedan, big trucks, school buses. (Although, interestingly, not the two squashed cars on top of each other you see at certain POIs)